$10.95 – $48.95
This treatment kills the phoretic mites (those mites not under capped brood). Treatment is not recommended unless you know that your varroa mite count is approaching or in excess of the treatment threshold. 5-year shelf life.
35g pack can treat 20 colonies using the dribble method and 35 colonies using the vaporization/sublimation method.
175g package can treat 100 colonies using the dribble method and 175 colonies using the vaporization/sublimation method.
250g package can treat 200 colonies using the dribble method and 350 colonies using the vaporization/sublimation method.
Instructions for the dribbling method:
- Dissolve oxalic acid in 1:1 sugar syrup. The recommended ratio is 35g dissolved into 1L of sugar syrup.
- Dribble 5ml of the syrup/oxalic solution onto the bees in each occupied bee space with a syringe or an applicator.
- Maximum dose: 50ml per colony.
Instructions for the vaporization/sublimation method:
- Seal the entrance and cracks of the hives with tape.
- Use the vaporizer following the manufacturer’s directions.
- Use only 1g of Oxalic Acid per hive.
Quick facts and tips about Oxalic Acid:
- Oxalic acid works best on colonies with little to no brood.
- After a recent EPA label change, Oxalic acid can be used when honey supers are on the hive.
- Always wear a protective mask, gloves, glasses, and long sleeves when mixing and applying oxalic acid.
- Do not perform multiple treatments on each generation of summer or winter bees.
- Treat all colonies in the apiary at the same time to avoid reinfestation.
Warning: Use protective mask, gloves, and glasses, and long sleeves when mixing and applying oxalic acid.
Currently NOT approved for use in the following: California or Mississipi.