$12.95 – $299.95
ApiLife Var (ALV) is designed to reduce side effects without a loss of efficacy. It does so through a lower dose of thymol, compared to other treatments.
It is well tolerated by honey bees, with high efficacy against varroa mites (even at cooler temperatures, where other thymol-based treatments can be less effective or have side effects). Another benefit is that there is no need for extra space to install the treatment on top of frames.
Note: This product is not available for shipment to California or Hawaii.
The treatment contains four, all-natural ingredients: thymol, eucalyptus oil, L-menthol, and camphor. Thymol contained in the wafers is released by contact and evaporation. ApiLife Var wafers are made from a sponge-like material, allowing the gradual evaporation of its natural ingredients.
The manufacturer’s product brochure can be found here.
Available in three options:
- 3 Pack: Treats up to 2 hives
- 15 Pack: Treats up to 10 hives
- 100 Pack: Treats up to 66 hives
ApiLife Var Notes:
- Up to 95% efficacy, most effective at temperatures between 65 and 95 degrees F (18-35 degrees C)
- ApiLife Var should not be used when honey supers are present
- Three applications are needed to complete a full treatment
- AviLife Var wafers are very fragile: use care when opening the package. We recommend using scissors to open the top of the package.
- Watch this video for tips on opening an ALV package
Using ApiLife Var:
- Reduce entrances and other openings to your hive, including closing screened bottom boards.
- However, keep the entrance wide open if you are applying treatment when the average daytime temperature is at the higher end of the recommended temperature range.
- For a single application, break one wafer into 4 small pieces, then lay them on the 4 corners of your uppermost hive body
- They should be as far away from the heart of the brood nest as possible, to reduce brood exposure to ALV vapor
- Treat your entire apiary at the same time, to avoid robbing between colonies