Horizontal Langstroth Hive
$314.00 – $549.00
The Horizontal Langstroth is a proven and flexible hive design, limiting the weight that needs to be lifted during hive inspections, while still offering the tremendous expansion options of the Langstroth and using standard dimensions on all components.
The Best of Both Worlds
This unique hive offers the benefits of the hugely popular Langstroth hive with the ease-of-use of the Top Bar.
Beekeepers experience the handling benefits of a Top Bar hive – easy access to the, minimal disruption of the colony and no heavy lifting.
But the awesome benefits of the iconic Langstroth hive are also delivered. These include strong comb with the use of standard Langstroth frames, plus the huge honey-producing potential of the Langstroth.
All this is delivered in a convenient and beautiful design.
- Langstroth Benefits
- Use of standard-size Langstroth frames (optional)
- Limited cross-combing
- Standarised box Langstroth dimensions, for consistency across suppliers
- Separate box for honey storage
- Top Bar-Like Benefits
- Easy access to inside the hive
- Immediate and simple access to frames and foundation
- Minimal disruption during inspections
- Easy on the back – no lifting heavy boxes
While this hive is very convenient – and easy on the back – it can also be expanded vertically. The design of the main box is such that traditional 8 frame boxes can be stacked on top, allowing for vertical expansion. These may be deep, medium or shallow boxes.
The benefit of this approach is two fold:
- If two additional 8 frame boxes are stacked on the main box, they are positioned alongside each other, rather than on top of each other
- This means that only one box needs to removed to inspect the main box underneath, one side at a time.
This hive is built in Oregon with FSC-certified Western Red Cedar or Sugar Pine from the Pacific Northwest. Offering superior rot and weather resistance, this hive was built to last.
High Capacity, Intelligent Design
This hive has a large capacity and features a modular design, beneficial to the beginner and experienced beekeeper.
Standard Langstroth sizes means components are interchangeable with other Langstroth hives.
Dimensions: 28” L x 19 7/8” W x 10 7/8” D
- 18-frame, horizontal langstroth box (accepts deep frames)
- 2-piece, modular wedge roof
- 2 quilt boxes
- Shavings for quilt box insulation and wicking of moisture
- Solid bottom board and side entrance
- Stainless steel screws
- Assembly instructions
Frames / foundation not included (available here).